Sunday, January 10, 2010

Unpredictability

Last night I worked til 3AM and came home looking for a snack before bed. I know you're not supposed to eat before bedtime, but I was starving. I noticed Mike had gotten take out Mexican food. I ate probably about 2 ounces of rice and beans, basically whatever his leftovers were.

I woke up twice having to blow my nose for at least 30 min. I had no idea why. Now it hits me: Spanish rice. Having made Spanish rice myself in the past, I now remember that it is made with tomato sauce. It didn't even occur to me. This allergy is so new, and its so difficult to change the way I've eaten for the past 30 years. I'm not used to having to question everything I eat, what it's made of. And I am definitely more sympathetic to Mike for his milk/whey allergy he's had to deal with his whole life.

The hardest part is eating out. Mike and I are novice food critics and have enjoyed dining at gourmet restaurants on occasion. Imagine the horror the chefs go through when I explain that they cannot use any milk or dairy in their signature five-star, five course meal. And now I have to further explain they can't use tomatoes as well. I would hate to cook for a couple like us! God help us...

No comments:

Post a Comment