Sunday, December 20, 2009

Celiac Disease

My good friend, Kim, has just informed me that she may have celiac disease, which is an allergy to gluten. Gluten is found in wheat, barley and rye (and sometimes oats). Oh my goodness! The only way to live with this allergy is to erase gluten from your diet. That means cutting out all breads, cereals, cookies, and most beers. It can even be found in sausage casings, lipstick and postage stamps. What is there left???

What has this world come to? Now we have developed an intolerance for the very nourishment that sustains us. Fortunately, with Kim and with my Mikey, we live in an age where there are many vegan and organic foods on the market, both in specialty markets like Whole Foods and even in big chain supers like Ralphs. Whole Foods is a dairy free/gluten free-palooza!

I guess its at least good to know what it is you have an allergy to, so you can curb your diet to fit without that perameter. But if there's anyone out there that can be of any help on how to live gluten free, or for that matter dairy and tomato free, I'm all ears...

No comments:

Post a Comment